AudlemOnline Logo Link

Brown bin refund – how to claim

7th June 2009 @ 4:04pm – by Audlem Webteam
Back home  /  News  /  Brown bin refund – how to claim

Regular readers of Audlem Online will be aware of the refund that is due to residents who paid up front for the garden waste collection service for the period up to 31st July this year. As reported on 1st May, Audlem Parish Council had asked Cheshire East councillor Rachel Bailey to seek a block refund for those residents in the "rural" area who are owed money for the "brown bin" service.

At the last Parish Council meeting Councillor Bailey said that the Environmental Services portfolio holder, whose responsibilities include waste collection, is insistent that every resident who is due a refund by Cheshire East has to contact the council on an individual basis. The portfolio holder in question is Councillor David Brickhill, whose ward includes some of the "rural" areas that are affected by his decision.

Speaking to Audlem Online Geoff Seddon, who first contacted Crewe and Nantwich Borough Council about the refund back in February, said "Having worked in local authorities for more that 35 years, I am amazed and extremely disappointed at the stance that Cheshire East is taking. I cannot believe that the council, which obviously has all the affected residents' details on their computer database, is taking such a stance over the refund.

"The only reason that I can think of is that Cheshire East is trying to save money, hoping that not all of the affected residents will make a claim. I am especially surprised that the newly-formed council, which was not welcomed by many residents, is taking this stance just a few months after its inception." Geoff goes on to add that he is writing to Cheshire East Chief Executive, Erica Wenzel, to ask for an explanation as to why this decision has been taken.

In the meantime, all residents who paid for a brown bin are urged to contact Cheshire East to claim the refund. This can be done by using the refund form. Click here to download. The form can be completed online and sent to"> Alternatively, forms will soon be available in Williams Newsagents, the chemist's shop or the Post Office and. when completed, should be sent to:

Rachel Carroll
Cheshire East Council
Environmental Services
Pyms Lane
Crewe CW1 3PJ

This article is from our news archive. As a result pictures or videos originally associated with it may have been removed and some of the content may no longer be accurate or relevant.

Get In Touch

AudlemOnline is powered by our active community.

Please send us your news and views using the button below:

Village Map

© 2005-2024 AudlemOnline
Visitors Today 25 / Feb 17,907