AudlemOnline Logo Link

Wild mushroom warning

3rd November 2011 @ 7:07am – by Peter Morgan
Back home  /  News  /  Wild mushroom warning
default

Whilst out walking dog the other day I saw what appeared to be two lovely field mushrooms.


As I picked the largest, I noticed it had a slightly domed top. Then I noticed a small patch of web-like material on its stalk although its gills were beautifully brown and beckoning.


Finally I took a sniff and instead of the musty mushroomy smell it had a slight sweetness so I left it where I had found it The smaller of the two had a web covering its entire gills.


They are the infamous Webcap Mushroom that the author of The Horse Whisperer, Nicholas Evans, accidentally poisoned himself and some of his family with a few years ago.


He has spent three years on dialysis and required a kidney transplant since so please be warned, not everything that looks like a mushroom is edible.


Besides, our dear old NHS is under enough financial strain already.


This article is from our news archive. As a result pictures or videos originally associated with it may have been removed and some of the content may no longer be accurate or relevant.

Get In Touch

AudlemOnline is powered by our active community.

Please send us your news and views using the button below:

Village Map

© 2005-2024 AudlemOnline
Visitors Today 30 / July 11,290