AudlemOnline recently published this photograph from an article by Dave Martin which appeared in Waterways World magazine in August 1966. There have been several chatbox suggestions and one or two e-mails to the editor to suggest who the man filling a petrol can with fuel at 4s 11d per gallon might be.
- Gifford Langley thinks that it is Frank Allman on the pumps.
- Mach One says that the sequence of pump attendants was Jack Williams, Frank Allman, Tom Sedgewick and then Nigel Hendley.
- Stepanian agrees that the picture doesn't really resemble Tom Sedgewick.
- Nicky says that it is definitely not Tom Sedgewick.
- Nicky also says that her brother doesn't think it looks like Nigel Hendley or Frank Allman but might possibly be Trevor Williams
- Billy Gibbons suggested Frank Allman (but not Mr Hendley who also worked there)
- JillyT remembers that Tom Sedgwick was the man on the pumps some ten years after 1966.
- In an e-mail message to the editor, Elizabeth Goldstraw says that her "hubby's" suggestion for the petrol pump attendant is Nigel Hendley.
So you pays your money and you takes your choice....
This article is from our news archive. As a result pictures or videos originally associated with it may have been removed and some of the content may no longer be accurate or relevant.