In the middle of the Cheshire Parish sat two dilapidated cast iron fingerposts. These fingerposts would have been an important part of guiding travellers for over 100 years until the post war deterioration has left them in a state of poor repair.
The Wilkesley fingerpost with only one of its fingers remaining and most of its black and white livery scheme lost to rust as shown in the photo
Signpost Restoration, a specialist in the restoration of traditional fingerposts, were contracted by the Parish Council to carry out the refurbishment and after painstakingly piecing back together the broken and cracked components, 29 separate welds were required, with the new castings the project was complete in May 2019. The post has been transformed back to it's original splendour!
The post was manufactured by the local foundry of WH Smith & Co in Whitchurch, probably in the early 1900's, and carries the company name in the casting at the foot of the post. Although, in the age of digital mapping, such traditional wayside signage is no longer an important aid to travelling the aesthetic value of these historic structures is deemed important to the maintenance of rural distinctiveness and this was the view of the parish council to instigate a restoration programme. Which can also been seen from the below restoration of the Goldsmith fingerpost.
For more information please contact:
Dodcott cum Wilkesley Parish Council
Nick Powell – Clerk to the Parish Council e mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Signpost Restoration Ltd
Mr David Gosling 07803 282876
This article is from our news archive. As a result pictures or videos originally associated with it may have been removed and some of the content may no longer be accurate or relevant.