By Audlem Webteam - 2nd June 2007 8:03am
The final touches of paint are being given to the Public Hall, following a delay whilst work was carried out on a lintel over the garage on the Cheshire Street frontage.
The garage doors are now being finished in "fire engine red" to restore the colour to how the doors were from 1905, when the garage became the home of Audlem's fire engine at a rent payable of £5 per year. Originally it was a horse-drawn fire engine that was kept there. This was called 'Jubilee', the name commemorating Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee in 1897. In fact the original sleepers on which the wheels of the engine rested are still in situ in the garage. The horses were kept in the stables at the nearby Crown Hotel.
In 1926 a van was bought to tow the old manual fire engine but it was not until 1934 that the first motorised fire engine was garaged at the Public Hall. The hall remained the station until just after the war, probably 1948, when the fire engine was moved to a wooden building on Shropshire Street situated in between the Combermere car park and the existing fire station, which was built in 1952.
Public Hall Chairman, Geoff Stretch, suggested to the committee last year that it would be an ideal opportunity to restore the doors to red and celebrate the link between the hall and the fire service. This was unanimously agreed. Geoff can remember as a young boy looking across the road to the red doors from his house. His last recollection of the fire service being there is seeing Tim Northen running across Cheshire Street from the butcher's shop and pulling the rope to ring the bell in order to call out the firemen.
The search is still continuing for the bell so that it can be put back in its original place on the outside of the Hall. Audlem Online would be pleased to hear from anyone who has any further information on either the bell or when the fire engine moved from the Public Hall.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
An in-depth under-cover operation by your tireless AoL investigative team found that all three village pubs were open on schedule today for the first time in many weeks.The Bridge Inn, the Shroppie Fly and the Lord Combermere are all expecting to welcome back thirsty customers within the limits allowed by social distancing.In fact it was very quiet at 12 noon, and Peter, who lives on a Canal...
Audlem Festival of Transport 2020It will be no surprise to you all that this year we are unable to stage our annual Audlem Festival of Transport following government guidelines. We are disappointed but your safety will always be our priority.Next year we will be back with both the Party on the Park and the Festival of Transport when we will be able to party in style and celebrate emerging...
Stay Connected at Audlem St James CE Primary SchoolThis week again I felt more like a Headteacher as we welcomed Year 6 back. We have seen over 80 children back this week which has been fantastic and lovely to feel more children in school. The warmth from the children and parents has been amazing and it has been reciprocated from staff. A letter has gone out that over the next few weeks we...
Tuesday 7th Jul
Monday 6th Jul
Methodist Meeting Rooms