By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
JGP First Aid & Tai ChiTo ALL current Tai Chi students:Hope everyone is well and keeping safe. I am going to run two outdoor Tai Chi sessions on the field next to the Civic Centre (Public Hall annexe) on the following dates:Tuesday 11th August and Tuesday 25th August from 09.30am to 10.30am.It would be lovely to see you there!All the current ZOOM classes remain the same through to...
Ed: We received this message from John Swancott. Can any local fishermen help?Could you please tell me if it is possible to fish river weaver at Audlem by bridge on Whitchurch road and if so is it a fishing club or owned by a farmer. We're new to area so any information would be appreciatedMany thanks...
Ed: We received this from local resident Geoff Farr. AudlemOnline invited John Lewis Customer Services to respond on 27/07/20 but have not received a responseYou have been warned26th July 2020Some of you may know that I have been very recently widowed.It therefore follows that my only evening companion is my television.My children and grandchildren have urged me to modernise and...
Sunday 2nd Aug
Saturday 1st Aug
Friday 31st Jul
Methodist Meeting Rooms