By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Audlem now boasts its own "Airbnb"Ed — there may be others, but this is the first we have been told about.Resident Sue Smith moved into School Lane several years ago and now offers the Annexe to her house as an "airbnb".Sue has been running this for about two years, and it has been quite successful — she says "People who stay just love Audlem and the friendly...
AudlemOnline has received this message through the Neighbourhood Watch networkWhilst out shopping be aware of where your handbag and purse are. Prevent your purse being taken by keeping your bag close to you and facing your body, keeping them zipped up.Purse BellsFor extra protection, ask your local PCSO for our purse...
Update from Judy at 11am this morning — Stepper glasses have been claimed by a very grateful owner -- big thanks to whoever handed them in!Lost PropertyFound in the village -- two separate "lost" items have been handed into the shop this weekend.GlassesPair of titanium Stepper (reading?) glasses in black case -- look expensive (!)BraceletSliver/chrome bracelet with...
Tuesday 23rd Apr
Monday 22nd Apr
Meet Car Park
Dorrington Hall Farm, Woore
Scout and Guide Hall