By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
I am sure most people in Audlem will already be aware that charges have now been made in relation to my husbands death.Although this is only the start of a very long journey to secure justice for Adam, I really wanted to thank The Cheshire Police for their ongoing support, professionalism and thoroughness. I am now convinced that once the judicial process has ended the truth can finally be...
The Post Office has sadly been robbed this Thursday so please please be vigilant...The Incident has been logged with the police and we ask that if anyone sees a man matching the following description, please report it using the incident reference number: 261290Roughly 5ft 2inches in height, Eastern European (we think)Short trimmed beardWhite parka jacket with fur, gold jewellery, black...
Saturday 8th December Ed: just a reminder from Christina LawsonThere will be a Festive Coffee Morning at Audlem Methodist Church, tomorrow Saturday 8th December from 10am to 12.30pm. Festive fruit punchcoffee, tea and hot chocolatemince pies and cake stalls for cakes, secondhand books and decorations tombola and raffleseveral charity stalls All welcome. Proceeds in...
Saturday 8th Dec
Friday 7th Dec
St James Church
Audlem Car Park
At midnight in Tthe Square.