By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Recently, Audlem acquired ownership of the 11.5-acre parcel of land adjacent to Green Lane, the Shropshire Union Canal and Shropshire Street. Not only does this ensure that there will be no unwanted development there but this wonderful asset also offers a variety of valuable potential uses for villagers and visitors.An obvious decision was to adopt the traditional name for the land — Turnpike...
New managers now in situ at the Bridge, with a determination to make the pub more welcoming than ever. They are a team of two men — Kie and Matt. Hopefully they will bring a welcoming touch to the place and build up the trade as soon as possible. Look forward to seeing how they do and I will give all the news of village life to them as the days roll by.Delighted to say that both Marstons (who...
Cheshire East have sent out these details of major roadworks taking place this week and over the coming weeks in Nantwich. Considering the traffic problems experienced during recent works & closures we thought this should be brought to your attention.Roadworks update: Nantwich — Autumn 2018 (Oct/Nov)Nantwich highway improvement scheme — The Peacock roundaboutWe will be working to deliver...
Wednesday 17th Oct
Scout & Guide Hall
Audlem car Park
Audlem Town Hall
Audlem Scout & Guide Hall