By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Audlem Medical Practice- extension progress and updateThe building work at the practice is going well and progress is good. We are at the point now where the builders are breaking through into the Practice building and therefore we are losing a lot of space internally (about 1/3 of the building at the back) As a result of this we will be closing for 1 hour every day from 1.00pm -- 2.00pm for...
A residential burglary has taken place at a property on Audlem Road in Hatherton.The incident took place between 08:20 and 17:50 on Monday February 18th.Entry was gained via a smashed window when an untidy search was made.If you have any information relating to this incident please call Cheshire Police on 101 quoting IML 325940.Message Sent ByNick Jarvis (Police, Community Support...
A number of incidents have been reported in the Buerton area over the past 48 hours. A shed break and suspicious activity around other properties on Woore Road were reported.One incident was reported at 2am on the 13th when it was suspected that somebody was trying a door to a property.We are unsure at this time if the incidents are linked.We advise that if you see any suspicious people or...
Wednesday 20th Feb
Public Hall Annexe
Meet under the Buttermarket.
Audlem Methodist Church