By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
ON THE DAY BEFORE Hankelow's fantastic Village Fete this year, we have a fund raising event on behalf of'The White Lion Community Pub'. Join us on SATURDAY, 29th JUNE for 'GATHERING ON THE GREEN'a celebration and the launch of a new Classic Car Venue in South Cheshire. 'Gathering on the Green' is a family classic car get together to help to promote and fund raise for...
It's the 20th Anniversary of our fantastic outdoor music festival, suitable for all the family.Get your tickets, grab your picnic and come and enjoy an afternoon and evening of amazing music and fun!Tickets available on line at via www.audlem-aset.org or from Williams' Newsagents, Audlem (CASH ONLY)Early Bird Prices available until Sunday 30th...
June 22nd and 23rdADAS Open Gardens — an opportunity to explore interesting gardens, in our beautiful village.TicketsAdvance tickets from Williams newsagents, Flower Divas and The Village ChippyTickets, map for garden locations and entry wristbands available on the weekend from the car park, 12.30 onwards2-day ticket: £4 (in advance), or £5 (on the day), under 14's...
Monday 24th Jun
Public Hall Annexe Small Hall