By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Margaret Wright Thornton passed away peacefully at home in Audlem on Saturday 10th August 2019 aged 87 years. Margaret Wright, beloved wife of Michael and a dearly loved mother and grandmother. Service of celebration at St James the Great Church, Audlem on Thursday 29th August 2019, at 1.00pm. Family flowers only please, donations to St James Church Restoration Fund and Audlem Charity...
Pete originally submitted this article to a national newspaper, but realising that he will reach a more appreciative, intelligent and responsible readership through AudlemOnline, he has allowed us to publish it here.Professor Frances Corner OBE, head of London college of Fashion and reputedly a vegan, has, upon taking up her new post at Goldsmiths, taken the decision to ban the consumption of...
It's peak wedding season and the popular TLC series 'Say Yes to the Dress' has just been recommissioned for a second series!Gok is back and the casting team are currently looking for bubbly brides-to-be who want to feature in the show. Filming for the new series take place in September and October 2019 and we're interviewing brides right now! For those wanting to apply they...
Monday 19th Aug
Lord Combermere Car Park