By Webteam - 12th May 2019 6:07am
More good news for Audlem from Cheshire East Council's New Homes Bonus Scheme. An award of £71,000 has been made to Canal & River Trust for a project developed in collaboration with ADAPT to improve towpath conditions between lock 14 and the Coole Lane road bridge at Coole Pilate (outlined in red on the map). The project aims to make this stretch of towpath a year-round amenity for walkers and cyclists. The project will:
- Be an important step in the creation of a pleasant year-round cycling and walking link between Audlem and Nantwich, avoiding the hazards of the A529. Work is continuing on the other steps involved, and once complete Audlem will be connected to the county wide strategic cycle route network being developed under Cheshire East Council's Cycling Strategy.
- Encourage sustainable transport between Audlem and Nantwich by cycle.
- Provide benefits to the physical and mental health and wellbeing of users of the improved amenity
- Improve links between Overwater Marina and Audlem
- Improve access for Audlem Lass users
- Provide much improved moorings for visiting boats below lock 15, which will encourage more visitors to stop and enjoy what Audlem has to offer.
The bid submitted by Canal & River Trust included letters of support from five Parish and Town Councils and six other local organisations and was the second highest scoring bid in this area in the evaluation process.
The process of planning the work is now underway and work is due to start towards the end of this summer and be finished by Spring 2020 at the latest. Any plans which will temporarily affect access to stretches of towpath will be publicised on Audlem Online. Surveys of towpath users will be conducted before and after the work to assess the impact of the project.
Another funding bid success for Audlem area!
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Start of summer planting, it is such good fun -- you know you want to come down today and help out. Flags up.... Plants out for the Bride (and us!)Anyone free tomorrow -- we have Millennium bed planting needing your touch. And a little bit more besides. There will be coffee and chocolates.Many thanksSuzie...
All three pubs in the village will play an important part in the Festival.So that you can coordinate your drinking and listening to some of the great bands who are appearing at the Festival, please see below the schedule of performances at the Lord Combermere.Schedules for the Bridge Inn and the Shroppie Fly will follow over the next few days.The Lord Combermere..
Gift retailer, Williams of Audlem, has just scooped a retail "Oscar" for best Independent Gift Retailer of the Year for the UK's North, and Northern Ireland region. Pictured above is owner/ manager, Judy Evans receiving her trophy at the awards ceremony at the glittering Grosvenor House Hotel, London's Park Lane on May 15th.Hundreds of guests made a beeline to see the...
Friday 24th May
Scout and Guide Hall
Aston Methodist Hall