By Webteam - 21st August 2018 6:01am
City of Hobart founded
The first European settlement began in 1803 as a military camp at Risdon Cove on the eastern shores of the Derwent River, amid British concerns over the presence of French explorers. In 1804, along with the military, settlers and convicts from the abandoned Port Phillip settlement, the camp at Risdon Cove was moved by Captain David Collins to a better location at the present site of Hobart at Sullivans Cove. The city, initially known as Hobart Town or Hobarton, was named after Lord Hobart, the British secretary of state for war and the colonies.
The area's indigenous inhabitants were members of the semi-nomadic Mouheneener tribe. Violent conflict with the European settlers, and the effects of diseases brought by them, dramatically reduced the aboriginal population, which was rapidly replaced by free settlers and the convict population. Charles Darwin visited Hobart Town in February 1836 as part of the Beagle expedition. He writes of Hobart and the Derwent estuary in his Voyage of the Beagle:
The lower parts of the hills which skirt the bay are cleared; and the bright yellow fields of corn, and dark green ones of potatoes, appear very luxuriant... I was chiefly struck with the comparative fewness of the large houses, either built or building. Hobart Town, from the census of 1835, contained 13,826 inhabitants, and the whole of Tasmania 36,505.
The Derwent River was one of Australia's finest deepwater ports and was the centre of the Southern Ocean whaling and sealing trades. The settlement rapidly grew into a major port, with allied industries such as shipbuilding.
Hobart Town became a city on 21 August 1842, and was renamed Hobart from the beginning of 1881.
Which famous actor from the glory days of Hollywood was born in Hobart in 1909?
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
DaveMThe first picture at Lock 11 declares the canal closed. The second below Adderley Locks shows why — Two big dams in place so a culvert can be repaired.Jean StainthorpeThe Turnpike field is under a significant amount of water again, but Grey's Bridge should stay put this time after the repair work undertaken by cheshire East.Christopher...
New speed watch schemeThe Parish Council were approached by our Police Community Support Officer to purchase a speed gun for £120 and have agreed to support a new speed watch scheme run by residents in the village. Volunteers will record the number plate and vehicle registration of offenders and give these to the police. We are trialling the scheme for 6 months in a bid to reduce...
We've found a small black dog on Paddock Lane, collar but no tags.It has run off over the field — hopefully it finds it's way...
Saturday 15th Feb
Friday 14th Feb
Scout and Guide Hall