By Steve Elliott - 15th December 2019 6:09am
Grade II Listed Road bridge
A number of times recently, people have incorrectly referred to the wooden bridge down near to the public footpath entrance on Green Lane, as 'Grey's Bridge'.
You may remember that this was recently washed away in the floods- fortunately Cheshire East were extremely efficient in re-instating it.
So being a pedantic so and so (at times) I thought I'd clear up the confusion!!
Grey's Bridge is in fact the old stone bridge on Green Lane, just south of the public footpath entrance to Turnpike Field. In fact when I did a little more research I then discovered that it's a listed building.
Here is the official entry for it:-
- Heritage Category: Listed Building:- Grade:II
- List Entry Number: 1330170
- Date first listed: 19-May-1986
- Statutory Address: GREYS BRIDGE, GREEN LANE
- National Grid Ref: SJ 65691 43087
- Description. Early/mid-19th Century. Brown English bond brick with ashlar dressings. Single span bridge. Single cambered arch with brick voussoirs and a projecting keystone which rises to pass through the hood mould and meet the chamfered band which divides the body of the bridge from the parapet which is of ashlar. To either side the retaining walls curve forward slightly and terminate in square end piers.
For those like me who have no idea what a voussoir is-its a wedge-shaped or tapered stone used to construct an arch!
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Due to our technical difficulties with the phone lines being down and from a security aspect, Lllovely and Audlem post office will be closing at 1pm today.We hope that BT rectify this situation by Monday, and we apologise for the inconvenience it is causing our customers.Thank you for the support still being given throughout this...
Thursday from January 23rdI am excited to announce that as of next Thursday I shall be in Audlem with my fantastic selection of fresh fish and seafood.I'm pleased to say that I've now got permission to use the Lord Combermere pub car park every Thursday 9.45-11.45 starting next Thursday 23rd.Thanks for all your help and I hope to be a great addition to your smashing villageKind...
Rest of the World Cut OffThere have been numerous reports in chatbox and elsewhere about failures in the telephone system (both landline and mobile) throughout the village and surrounding area.Broadband seems to be unaffected.The best description of the problem might be this one from chatboxWe seem to have a Russian Roulette phone service although Internet seems okay. Sometimes we get a...
Wednesday 22nd Jan
Tuesday 21st Jan
AMC Seville Room
Methodist Meeting Rooms