By Ralph Warburton - 8th January 2019 6:07am
First of this new year. This very momentous new year -- one that will play a huge part as to the future of this country as we cut ourselves loose and cast away from the EU, into very unknown waters and much chest beating. How it will shape up is a total mystery , in this modern world of trade and cross fertilisation of ideas and research.
But, as I hear the owls in my garden as dawn breaks, it betokens a good day ahead.
Sadly my computer was attacked by evil scum who saying they were Microsoft , needed to help me sort out things as they said my pc had been corrupted. In fact it was this bunch of thieves who were doing the corruption .
Enough -- I cut short my being with the team, but travel again to the Barony to face Natwich Pirates , a team we have never played before . All I can do is get the kit there and ready for the team . From then on as I drive home to meet with Jonathan my son, who is here to help cleanse my PC. All action is taken over by our Kev Mort .
His reports to me as follows :
- Kick off on a mild day with a good pitch. Referee is Mike Wharburton. No relation to me .
- Good squad
- awarded a penalty and Kevin Beresford steps up -- and misses!
- open goal yawning as Ben Spruce attack's -- and he misses!
- Oops , are we in for a bad day ?
- Penalty awarded to us . Andrew ( Becko) Betteley steps up. Shoots -- right into the goalies arms, so more bad luck.
- We are bossing the game and dictating play but still scoreless .
- Lewis Williams fires in a shot and on the rebound Becko scores
- 1-0 to us!!
- James Bebbington tells me the ball was traveling at 98 mph -- a slight exaggeration me thinks.
- Pirates first real threat and blow me down , they score . Poor defending
- Becko races down the right flank, crosses to on rushing Ben Spruce , who scores a sweet goal
- More sloppy defending and the Pirates steal a goal
- Then Kevin Beresford puts away his shot
- We win 3-2 . A great way to start 2019 .
- Happy bunch of players make their way to the Nags Head in Haslington for victory grub and lagers .
- Next game is up to Winsford to play Winsford Over 3 team .
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
We are sad to have to report that a lady who came to an event in the Public Hall last week was "done" to the tune of £35 as a result of parking in an unmarked space in the main Car Park.All visitors to the village should be warned that the Car Park is occasionally, if infrequently, checked by Cheshire East Parking Officials and that they risk being fined if they break the...
This is not an April Fool!According to the Cheshire East website and notices at Little Heath, the A529 Audlem to Nantwich road is to be completely closed between Little Heath and Hankelow for twelve days from April 1st.The closure is apparently necessary "to enable Charles L Warren to carry out carriageway planning, resurfacing and road...
Gala Concert with the FunkyChoirCome and join us at Audlem Methodist Church on Saturday 30th March at 7pm for a lively, varied mix of music from this popular choir, who sing an invigorating mix of soul, blues, and country with a hint of gospel.Tickets are £7, including refreshments, available from Julia Parton on 01270 811761 or Lin Nicholas 01270 812400.The proceeds will help fund...
Wednesday 20th Mar
Audlem Methodist Church