By Ralph Warburton - 8th January 2019 6:07am
First of this new year. This very momentous new year -- one that will play a huge part as to the future of this country as we cut ourselves loose and cast away from the EU, into very unknown waters and much chest beating. How it will shape up is a total mystery , in this modern world of trade and cross fertilisation of ideas and research.
But, as I hear the owls in my garden as dawn breaks, it betokens a good day ahead.
Sadly my computer was attacked by evil scum who saying they were Microsoft , needed to help me sort out things as they said my pc had been corrupted. In fact it was this bunch of thieves who were doing the corruption .
Enough -- I cut short my being with the team, but travel again to the Barony to face Natwich Pirates , a team we have never played before . All I can do is get the kit there and ready for the team . From then on as I drive home to meet with Jonathan my son, who is here to help cleanse my PC. All action is taken over by our Kev Mort .
His reports to me as follows :
- Kick off on a mild day with a good pitch. Referee is Mike Wharburton. No relation to me .
- Good squad
- awarded a penalty and Kevin Beresford steps up -- and misses!
- open goal yawning as Ben Spruce attack's -- and he misses!
- Oops , are we in for a bad day ?
- Penalty awarded to us . Andrew ( Becko) Betteley steps up. Shoots -- right into the goalies arms, so more bad luck.
- We are bossing the game and dictating play but still scoreless .
- Lewis Williams fires in a shot and on the rebound Becko scores
- 1-0 to us!!
- James Bebbington tells me the ball was traveling at 98 mph -- a slight exaggeration me thinks.
- Pirates first real threat and blow me down , they score . Poor defending
- Becko races down the right flank, crosses to on rushing Ben Spruce , who scores a sweet goal
- More sloppy defending and the Pirates steal a goal
- Then Kevin Beresford puts away his shot
- We win 3-2 . A great way to start 2019 .
- Happy bunch of players make their way to the Nags Head in Haslington for victory grub and lagers .
- Next game is up to Winsford to play Winsford Over 3 team .
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Fudge the Barn Owl has gone missing whilst out flying on Thursday evening around Hankelow.This was reported on AudlemOnline previously back in 2017 when Fudge decided to go on her last expedition. it was only due to this that people heard about Fudge and she was eventually found in Buerton, on Christmas day.I would really appreciate your help.Here is a little description of her — Fudge is...
A huge thank you to all of our customers who continue to support The Lord Combermere during this challenging period. We hope that you are all keeping safe and we are looking forward to the day that we can welcome you back.We have now been closed for almost 9 long weeks and it is time to update our takeaway menu again. The new menu retains many of the favourites our customers enjoy but also has...
From Emma OmerjiHi, I'm researching my family tree and believe that my great great grandmother is mentioned in an article dated 25th Aug 2014 by Peter Brown on the deaths on the Triple tragedy at Audlem.You can see this article here.Her name was Annie Boswell. I've been trying to find where I can get a...
Sunday 24th May
Saturday 23rd May
Scout & Guide Hall