By Ralph Warburton - 12th February 2019 6:03am
For February 9th
A game away versus Sydney Arms — a reborn team who were Barrel and Tap last season at home for the first game here this year
Referee is Jen Cornes, a top rank referee. Another fine official who is fair but firm.
Good turnout of players. Pitch soft after all the overnight rain. Looking in need of some TLC. Not much grass cover and bald at the tennis court goal mouth. Visiting team here early after the cancellations of last weekend with those frozen pitches.
Church bells of St James raining beautifully as our band of campanologists greet the parishioners. Car park quite empty. Smell of heat rub all around me as I sit to ready myself for the game.
Danny Mahoney playing, and he is here with his wife Dawn, who gave birth to Rosie just 9 days ago. I tip my hat to her fortitude.
- 1100 Both teams raring to go as a very fast pace is adopted, with balance even for many minutes. End to end play as each cancels out the other.
- 1111 And what do we do?? Give away a free kick some 35 yards out. Player steps up and fires in such a fierce shot that Connor Baxter in goal has no chance. 0-1. Set pieces are so often our undoing.
- 1120 Yet another free kick to Sydney Arms but Connor saves.
- 1124 Referee has cause to lecture Kev Rodgers as Kev and his red mist get the better of him. No booking.
- Another fine save at the feet of an on rushing player by Connor.
- Cold wind springs up but then out pops the sun to give us hope.
- Game very much 50/50 as each cancels the other out. Ross Henderson full of his running as he controls the right wing. Danny M chasing down every ball he can.
- Thomas Peters poleaxed in our goal mouth and blood is drawn from his nose. Off he comes and on comes Kev Mort — our Sean Connery look alike — full of controlled energy and craft as he takes on players far younger than himself.
- Ross taken down in full flight — his father here after recently moving to live here. But up bounces Ross.
HALF TIME called
- Thomas back on as his bleeding stopped.
- We camp in their half as we press for a goal.
- 1200 Great run upfield by Kev Beresford and angles a shot which is met by Dan Mahoney but his shot is saved
- 1215 Another free kick conceded. And bang, they score!! 0-2.
- To be frank, a very uninteresting game as the balance, outside of those two set pieces, is a tad boring (Alys sitting next to me says the same and she is a regular player for her team at Wrenbury).
- Danny off, Joe Benson on.
- Free kick to us as Kev B is pushed over. No gain
- 1225 Corner to us but again no gain. We are for sure on top at present and do deserve better.
- 1230 Free kick to us, taken by Kev Beresford and his so well directed shot is met by a rising Thomas who heads home so sweetly. 1-2. And a good reflection of the game. A game of set pieces! And of our undoing at such happenings. When will we ever learn ???
- Sudden hail storm hits us as referee blows up for full time.
Man of the Match as chosen by Sydney Arms is Ross Henderson.
Our next game is again here in the village when we meet Brighton Belle team in a cup round on Sunday 16th.
Tuesday 23rd Apr
Meet Car Park
Dorrington Hall Farm, Woore
Scout and Guide Hall