AFC Match Report

Home » Latest News » AFC Match Report

Match report for Sunday 2nd September

I set off for the game on a beautiful warm day with fluffy clouds hanging in the sky. A massive contrast to the previous week and that horrid soaking rain at Sandbach. Geese still honking over my house and more butterflies about.

My house very full as I have family here for a birthday celebration for my self and my grandson, Benjamin — born on the same day. A very happy and full weekend. We went to see Mama Mia -- the new movie for a bit of light relief. Script a bit thin but also a bit of escapism.

To our match — Pick up my superb croissant from our COOP. Open up the Annexe rooms and get the kit up and ready for the players. As you know I launder this each weekend to save us cost. See my photo for the calm before the storm.

We play The George and Dragon F C team from Winsford. A very strong team, rumoured to have semi pro footballers in their numbers. And one to fear! After they trounce another team who had won all their games with a 6 -- 0 score!

So, with trepidation, Kev Rodgers and team select a line up with a strong defence. The opponents arrive late as evidence of their cockiness. so much so that Referee Alan Husher cannot get us underway until 1105.

Off we go with full pressure and game begins quite even -- and clean. In the first 2 minutes, we very nearly score!! Is this a marker to give us hope! From a throw-in by Ross Henderson. Ross as usual a real fighter for the ball and is everywhere! Un flagging in his play.

11:16 We concede a corner and then another. No gain thank fully. Set pieces are so often our undoing.
11:21 Great shot from distance by Connor McGowan but goes wide.
11:25 We give them another corner as G&D press hard. Very good players, keeping the ball on the deck and good passing. But we are defending very well. Their manager yelling out his instructions with a very thick scouse accent. Our captain, Trevor McDonnel injured badly and has to hobble off, replaced by Thomas Peters.
11:45 GOAL! We score as their goalie fumbles and Andrew Bettely swoops and puts it away 1-0
Our defence has been magnificent and a very good credit for this goes to the selection and line up as made by the management team.
HALF TIME Very sweaty lots of players go to get water. Air temperature very warm.
Restart. G&D attack in numbers -- stung by our goal. In fact They camp in our half for more or less the whole of the second half. Fierce shot by GD and Connor Baxter saves very well
Again more attack on our goal and Connor saves at the feet of the attacker.
Then — They score!! 1-1 Pace still at great speed.
Still our defence repels their forwards. We are given a free kick b. About 30 yards from their goal. Charles Rose steps up to take the shot -- and fires it straight into their net. Great strike. 2-1!!!
We are ahead again. George & Dragon team now pile into our defence wall. Connor saves and saves again. Brilliant performance by defence and by Connor. We are really under the cosh. Game over and we are the victors.

Played four games. Won three!!!!

Up to equal 2nd in the league. Best ever performance since the team was relaunched in 2012.

Man of the Match. Connor Baxter of course — must be his new goal keeper socks!
Players troop off. Very happy bunch. Off to a pub.
Next game is away to The Ark F C at Winsford on the 9th

NB Our pitch looking very sad with many bare patches