By Webteam - 2nd July 2015 6:07am
Camp safely while enjoying the sun this weekend
As the weather hots up this weekend, many families will be preparing for a camping or caravan trip away to make the most of the sun.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service would like to remind people to ensure their breaks are safe and enjoyable.
Head of Prevention and Protection Keith Brooks said: "We want people to make the most of the weather and the great outdoors, whether camping, cooking or exploring, but we also want to make sure it is done safely. Armed with some simple safety tips we can help ensure your family break is memorable for the right reasons."
Fire Kills campaign's top tips whether camping or caravanning:
- Allow at least 6 metres spacing between tents and caravans and ensure they are away from parked cars to reduce the risk of fire spreading.
- Never use candles in or near a tent — torches are safer.
- Keep cooking appliances away from the tent walls and never cook inside a small tent or near flammable materials or long grass; they can all set alight easily.
- Make sure you know how to escape by cutting your way out of the tent if there's a fire.
- Make sure everyone knows how to put out clothing that's on fire — stop, drop and roll.
- Don't smoke inside tents.
- Do not leave a recently used BBQ near or inside tents/caravans due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Fit and test a smoke alarm in your caravan.
- Take special care when cooking — don't leave pans unattended.
- Turn off all appliances before you go out or to bed.
- Make sure ashtrays are made of a material that can't burn or topple over -never smoke in bed.
- Don't dry clothes over the stove.
- Remove any litter and rubbish near the caravan to reduce the risk of fire spreading.
- Make sure the caravan is ventilated, and never block air vents, to avoid a build up of poisonous gases.
For more information please visit the website www.cheshirefire.gov.uk
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
>> My name is Charlotte, I am a busy working mummy, proud to be a part of this community and also married to a local farmer.>> I am an independent consultant for The Body Shop, the reason for my post... I am raising funds for our amazing NHS workers to purchase hand creams for our frontline NHS workers who are desperate for our help!>> I just want to add that I am purchasing these at cost...
Ed: Clare has asked that we clarify that since she is nursing she will be isolated from the takeaway which will be manned by Jordan Lovatt to avoid any contact and maintain full hygiene.With the current Covid-19 situation we have decided to start offering a takeaway service for the Village from Finefoodies Deli. This is something we have been talking about doing for a while now and have...
We received this from Jack #Hi guys and girlsJust asking if you could let the good people of audlem and surrounding areas know that jacks roadside shop is still here and are still selling a few eggs but I have sourced veg plants and are selling them on the shop ! Broccoli cabbage leeks lettuce beetroot cauliflower strawberries and other things.There is a pic on my Facebook page if you...
Monday 6th Apr
Scout and Guide Hall
Audlem Methodist Church