By Webteam - 17th January 2013 7:02am
A reminder that the Audlem District History Society meets this evening at 7.15 for 7.30pm at the Scout & Guide Hall with a talk by Dinah Andrew: A Country Gentleman and his Legacy — the Life of Lord Combermere (part 3).
The society has also updated its information on AudlemOnline in the last few days and it now includes the full programme for 2013. The page says:
Audlem District History Society
Our aim is "to record local history and to foster historical knowledge". In doing this we:
- photograph changes to buildings etc
- interview older residents and try to put names to faces in old photographs.
- try to prevent documents or photographs being thrown away. Originals are deposited at Chester Record Office, and copies may be kept in our cupboard in the Scout & Guide Hall
- put on themed exhibitions as part of village celebrations
- publish booklets and leaflets concerning the history of Audlem
- pursue an interest in local family history and help people whose ancestors lived in Audlem, Hankelow, Buerton, Burleydam etc.
We meet monthly (with a speaker) on the 3rd Thursday of the month in the Scout & Guide Hall, Audlem, usually 7.15 for 7.30 pm. Membership costs £10 per year payable in January. VISITORS ARE ALWAYS VERY WELCOME — £2 on the door. Students free.
Items from the chest may be borrowed before or after the talk — please sign borrowing book and return promptly.
John Whitehead — Chairman firstname.lastname@example.org
Dorothy Jones — Secretary email@example.com
Celia Bloor — Research enquiries firstname.lastname@example.org
PROGRAMME for 2013
Thursday 17th January: Speaker — Dinah Andrew: A Country Gentleman and his Legacy — the Life of Lord Combermere (part 3).
Thursday 21st February: Speaker — Bob Cartwright: Some Past Presidents of the USA.
Thursday 21st March: Speaker — Ralph Warburton: History and Records of Audlem Cemetery.
Thursday 18th April: Speaker: Derek McKelvey on Memories of Audlem in the 1950s.
Thursday 16th May: Speaker: John Whitehead on The Staffordshire Hoard.
Wednesday June 19th: Drive yourself outing to Wedgwood Museum and Trentham Gardens.
Tuesday 9th July: all day outing to Hanley Museum and Rode Hall.
August: No meeting
Thursday 19th September: Speaker: Dorothy Nicholle on The History of Shrewsbury.
Thursday 17th October: Speaker: Jeremy Nicholls on 100 Years of Trains to Audlem 1863 — 1963.
Thursday 21st November: AGM followed by Speaker on 150 Years of Audlem Methodist Church.
Tuesday December 10th: Christmas dinner
Saturday 19th Sep
Friday 18th Sep
Thursday 17th Sep
Hankelow Chapel Community Hall
Public Hall Annexe, Thornton Room
Public Hall Annexe Thornton Room