By Andy Davidson - 4th January 2014 6:08am
The ARS (Audlem Ramblers Society) programme of Long-ARS walks has been published.
As usual we have tried to provide a mix of old favourites and breaking new ground and I hope there is something for everyone.
New territory for us is Peter's walk around Tankerville in May and Howard's ascent of Pen Y Boncyn in May. However familiar areas include Dovedale, Llangollen and our old favourite on The North Wales Path from Conwy to Llanfairfachan.
Steve and Chris Elliott have kindly given up their spot in April to allow one of our younger members a shot at leading a walk and I believe that they are still hoping to still do their walk over The Wrekin as a mid-week extra in due course. Again more details to follow:
- January 11th: A walk around Cannock Chase.
- February 8th: A walk from Llangollen.
- March 8th: A walk through and/or around Dove Dale.
- April 12th: Details to follow
- May 10th: A 9.5 mile walk from Tankerville just south of Minsterley on the edge of the Stiperstones. The walk takes in the Mitchell's Fold stone circle and the Hope Valley. It is an undulating walk through fields and over moorland. There is about 1300 ft of climbing.
- June 14th: A 10 mile climb over Pen Y Boncyn (part of the Berwyn Range). Approximately 2000 ft of climbing.
- July 12th: Details to follow
- August 9th: A 9 mile linear walk on the North Wales Path from Conwy to Llanfairfachan with great coastal views and interesting stone circles. 550 metres of ascent. (An old favourite of ARS)
- September 13th: A walk over The Briedden Hills and Rodneys Pillar. Led by Tony Crowther
- October 11th: A walk from Tegg's Nose Reservoir through Macclesfield Forest and over Shutlingsloe (sometimes known as The Matterhorn of Cheshire) Approximately 11 miles and 2500 ft of climbing.
- November 8th: An 8 mile walk on the borders of Cheshire and Staffordshire from Danebridge, along the River Dane via Gradbach to Roach End. With the possibility of a visit to the Wincle Brewery.
- December 13th: A walk over The Wrekin. Followed by the ARS Christmas Dinner.
The ShortARS programme for the last Saturday (occasionally 4th Saturday) of each month will be published shortly.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Fudge the Barn Owl has gone missing whilst out flying on Thursday evening around Hankelow.This was reported on AudlemOnline previously back in 2017 when Fudge decided to go on her last expedition. it was only due to this that people heard about Fudge and she was eventually found in Buerton, on Christmas day.I would really appreciate your help.Here is a little description of her — Fudge is...
A huge thank you to all of our customers who continue to support The Lord Combermere during this challenging period. We hope that you are all keeping safe and we are looking forward to the day that we can welcome you back.We have now been closed for almost 9 long weeks and it is time to update our takeaway menu again. The new menu retains many of the favourites our customers enjoy but also has...
Ed: We have received this statement from Local Councillor Rachel Bailey, who was concerned to make sure that Audlem Residents had the opportunity to express their views to Cheshire East Council on this subject. Please contact Rachel or the Parish Council to make your views known.Dear ResidentI think it is important that I clarify the attached press statement. As lock down is...
Sunday 24th May
Saturday 23rd May
Scout & Guide Hall