By Andy Davidson - 4th January 2014 6:08am
The ARS (Audlem Ramblers Society) programme of Long-ARS walks has been published.
As usual we have tried to provide a mix of old favourites and breaking new ground and I hope there is something for everyone.
New territory for us is Peter's walk around Tankerville in May and Howard's ascent of Pen Y Boncyn in May. However familiar areas include Dovedale, Llangollen and our old favourite on The North Wales Path from Conwy to Llanfairfachan.
Steve and Chris Elliott have kindly given up their spot in April to allow one of our younger members a shot at leading a walk and I believe that they are still hoping to still do their walk over The Wrekin as a mid-week extra in due course. Again more details to follow:
- January 11th: A walk around Cannock Chase.
- February 8th: A walk from Llangollen.
- March 8th: A walk through and/or around Dove Dale.
- April 12th: Details to follow
- May 10th: A 9.5 mile walk from Tankerville just south of Minsterley on the edge of the Stiperstones. The walk takes in the Mitchell's Fold stone circle and the Hope Valley. It is an undulating walk through fields and over moorland. There is about 1300 ft of climbing.
- June 14th: A 10 mile climb over Pen Y Boncyn (part of the Berwyn Range). Approximately 2000 ft of climbing.
- July 12th: Details to follow
- August 9th: A 9 mile linear walk on the North Wales Path from Conwy to Llanfairfachan with great coastal views and interesting stone circles. 550 metres of ascent. (An old favourite of ARS)
- September 13th: A walk over The Briedden Hills and Rodneys Pillar. Led by Tony Crowther
- October 11th: A walk from Tegg's Nose Reservoir through Macclesfield Forest and over Shutlingsloe (sometimes known as The Matterhorn of Cheshire) Approximately 11 miles and 2500 ft of climbing.
- November 8th: An 8 mile walk on the borders of Cheshire and Staffordshire from Danebridge, along the River Dane via Gradbach to Roach End. With the possibility of a visit to the Wincle Brewery.
- December 13th: A walk over The Wrekin. Followed by the ARS Christmas Dinner.
The ShortARS programme for the last Saturday (occasionally 4th Saturday) of each month will be published shortly.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
As most of you will know by now, there will be no firework display or bonfire this year on November the 5th.But.We are seeking to have the traditional New Years Eve welcome, with the muffled bells of our magnificent St James church ringing out the old year and then, as the clock strikes out the 12th hour of the night, the wonderful firework display over the Square and the new year, 2020...
Micheline Stockton sent the following message via www.audlem.org :My son is doing a project at school about school life in the past and needs to interview someone for it. We now live in the Old School on Cheshire Street and he would love to interview someone who went to school here. If anyone would be happy to be interviewed by Barney (age 6), could they get in touch through Audlem...
Lyceum Square 21 November to 1st DecemberStunning artwork set to light up Cheshire EastWave-Field, a world-famous interactive art installation in the form of illuminated music generating seesaws, is embarking on a tour of the north of England, from October to December.Cheshire East will host it in Lyceum Square, in Crewe, from 21 November until 1 December. This is a free event that will be...
Monday 21st Oct
Meet at the Bridge Inn
Scout and Guide Hall