By John Tilling - 5th January 2014 6:08am
The January long ARS walk is planned for Cannock Chase.
A proper recce is still to be done, but the plan is to park at the main visitor centre then:
- through the woods to Forest Lodge and then Monguls Drive
- follow the Drive eastwards, over the A460 and the railway
- turn South and down to the Golf Club
- SouthEast through the Chase to Castle Ring, a big Iron Age fort and the highest point
- Turn back North up the Heart of England way
- follow paths and tracks up the East side of the Chase back to the Visitor centre,
It looks about 10-11 miles on the map. The highest point is Castle Ring at 241m.
The biggest potential problem is likely to be mud after all the recent rain.
It's just under an hour's drive from Audlem, so we need to meet in the Car park at 8.30am on Saturday January 11th.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
DaveMThe first picture at Lock 11 declares the canal closed. The second below Adderley Locks shows why — Two big dams in place so a culvert can be repaired.Jean StainthorpeThe Turnpike field is under a significant amount of water again, but Grey's Bridge should stay put this time after the repair work undertaken by cheshire East.Christopher...
We've found a small black dog on Paddock Lane, collar but no tags.It has run off over the field — hopefully it finds it's way...
Here's a snippet that might get Audlem historians interested.Reading a book entitled "Tales From The Old Inland Waterways", there is reference to the fact that there was a carpenter's workshop owned by the canal company on the wharf at Audlem. The carpenter was Bob Williams, and his main job was to do woodwork repairs to the locks in Audlem and Adderley flights. The date...
Wednesday 19th Feb
Tuesday 18th Feb
Methodist Meeting Rooms