Anti-social behaviour survey

Home » Latest News » Anti-social behaviour survey

John Dwyer, Police & Crime Commissioner for Cheshire, is asking for your views on what you think would be the most appropriate remedy for some anti-social behaviour and some minor offences as an alternative to the offender going to court.

He is asking this as a result of the introduction of a new law (the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime & Policing Act 2014) which seeks to prevent offenders from reoffending and give victims a voice.

The feedback you give will be used to produce a Community Remedy Document which police officers will discuss with the victim who will have a say in the offender's punishment.

The types of offences that this may apply to would be:-

  • Minor criminal damage
  • Low value theft
  • Minor assault without injury
  • Anti-social behaviour (where there is no crime committed)

You can find the survey by clicking here — it's then at the bottom of the opened page.

The survey asks, in its opening question:
"From the list below, please tick up to THREE things, which in your opinion, you would think may be suitable to be carried out by a person who has engaged in anti-social behaviour or committed an offence where it would be better to resolve the matter out of court.

  • Face to Face apology
  • Letter of apology
  • Enter an agreement. E.g. not to go within a certain distance of an address or within a certain geographic area
  • An acceptable behaviour contract — where the offender agrees not to behave antisocially in the future, or face more formal consequences such as an antisocial behaviour order (or a criminal behaviour order)
  • Structured activity such as alcohol or drug treatment or training courses (e.g. anger management course)
  • Mediation — by a third party to bring together both parties to reach common agreement, for example, to resolve a neighbour dispute;
  • Paying compensation to the victim (e.g. for any damage caused),
  • Reparation to the victim (e.g. repairing damage or cleaning graffiti off a wall)
  • Reparation to the community — for example, by doing unpaid work for up to 10 hours)

It then asks: "Do you have any other suggestions for possible actions for community remedy?" You can add details about your suggestion.

popular recent storiesAlso in the news

logo cheshire east council
Tue 31 Mar 6:08am  |  hits: 2,561

Accessing Information and Advice Citizens Advice Cheshire East have suspended face-to-face advice services across all sites and services for the foreseeable future due to the coronavirus outbreak. However we are still open and ready to deliver information and advice in other ways:There are a number of ways people can continue to get advice during this time.Citizens Advice Cheshire East...

mansell bird
Tue 31 Mar 6:07am  |  hits: 1,138

Does anyone know what kind of bird this is?It appeared on my gatepost...

FineFoodies Deli
Sat 04 Apr 6:09am  |  hits: 1,075

Ed: Clare and Ann have asked that we clarify that since both of them are in lockdown or self isolation the takeaway will be manned By Jordan Lovatt to avoid any contact and maintain full hygiene.With the current Covid-19 situation we have decided to start offering a takeaway service for the Village from Finefoodies Deli. This is something we have been talking about doing for a while now and...