By Audlem Webteam - 2nd September 2008 7:13am
Ruth Kemble writes: "Christine Johnson and I have just attended the public forum of the Parish Council meeting and addressed them on the subject of allotments. Following comments at the Annual Parish Meeting in June in favour of creating allotments in Audlem , we started to do some research, and have discovered:-
• This year is the centenary of the Small Holdings and Allotments Act.
• We have visited allotments in local areas and were invited to attend a meeting of the North Staffs Allotment Network — there are 76 allotment sites in the City of Stoke-upon-Trent alone.
• We were given advice and information about various relevant sources of start-up and continuation funding for allotments.
• We met a member from Brown Edge where they have just formed an allotments association. The Parish council there had written to every sizeable landowner in the Parish to ask if anyone was prepared to make land available and a suitable plot had been donated.
• We are starting to gauge local interest with a poster and leaflet campaign in the Village. We will collate these results and forward them to the council for information.
• When we have collated this information we will then form a working party to implement the formation of the Audlem Allotment Association.
"We request that:
A. The Council consider writing to local landowners.
B. If nothing has been forth coming by the next Parish meeting that the Provision of Allotments is an agenda item at that meeting."
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Mike Harthern sent us this photo of visitors to his garden in Monk's lane. We understand they are to be named the" Monks Lane Trio&qu...
School Problems I am hearing of very anxious parents who are finding the present virus problems interrupting schooling. Don't be anxious, it will turn out alright in the end.The children will come to learn what they will need to know to embark upon their lives.Let me take you on a tour of my school. It was the Delve's Charity school at Wybunbury and was no different from the many...
Nigel Mottershead sent the following message to audlemOnlineWe found what looks like an expensive branded dog harness on the footpath close to our house a couple of weeks ago.We hung it prominently on the stile but no one has claimed it so far.Yesterday we took it to Williams Newsagents and I told Judy that we would post something on AoL about it.Judy and her staff are aware they have...
Sunday 31st May
Saturday 30th May
Scout & Guide Hall