By Audlem Webteam - 2nd September 2008 7:13am
Ruth Kemble writes: "Christine Johnson and I have just attended the public forum of the Parish Council meeting and addressed them on the subject of allotments. Following comments at the Annual Parish Meeting in June in favour of creating allotments in Audlem , we started to do some research, and have discovered:-
• This year is the centenary of the Small Holdings and Allotments Act.
• We have visited allotments in local areas and were invited to attend a meeting of the North Staffs Allotment Network — there are 76 allotment sites in the City of Stoke-upon-Trent alone.
• We were given advice and information about various relevant sources of start-up and continuation funding for allotments.
• We met a member from Brown Edge where they have just formed an allotments association. The Parish council there had written to every sizeable landowner in the Parish to ask if anyone was prepared to make land available and a suitable plot had been donated.
• We are starting to gauge local interest with a poster and leaflet campaign in the Village. We will collate these results and forward them to the council for information.
• When we have collated this information we will then form a working party to implement the formation of the Audlem Allotment Association.
"We request that:
A. The Council consider writing to local landowners.
B. If nothing has been forth coming by the next Parish meeting that the Provision of Allotments is an agenda item at that meeting."
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
7th December — Greek nightWe have a date for our next Greek Night, it's on Saturday, 7th December. If people would like to book or any questions about the event then feel free to pop in and speak to George, if booking then payment upfront is needed. Please see menu (picture) which has been done by the fabulous Joe of Audlem printers...he always does a great job.Part time job vacancy...
Audlem Running Group (ARG)On Saturday 9th November ARG had an 'away' run in the Bickerton hills. This was the same week researchers announced that regular running is the single most effective activity at lowering the risk of premature death and running as little as once a week can extend an individual's lifespan by 27%. With an average age of 85, ARG runners support the...
Hello. Audlem is yet again featured on national TV!Tuesday 19th November at 3.00pmChannel 4 HD (and probably at 4pm on Channel 4+1)Season 4, Episode 2 of Find It Fix It Flog ItSimon O'Brien and Max McMurdo head for Crewe to meet rock and roller Billy, who lives in a house that is frozen in time in the...
Saturday 16th Nov
Audlem Public Hall
Audlem Town Hall
Scout & Guide Hall