By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
I would first like to thank the very kind people of Audlem for their kind acts during our families grieving of my brother Adam.I've visited Audlem a couple of times now since the very sad loss of my brother and it's comforting to see the cards and well wishes to Claire, Declan & Jordan.Please may I appeal to the kind people of Audlem to talk amongst yourselves about what happened that...
This horrendous action took place on the 25th May in the early hours. I am sure the whole village has read the posts that have been on the AudlemOnline web site by his family thanking all for their support and their words of comfort . The police carrying out their duties to the letter have appealed for any witness that can assist them with their enquiries and have published a dedicated and...
The funeral of Adam Guy Lovatt, who died tragically on the 25th May 2018 aged 45 years, will take place in St James' Church, Audlem on Saturday June 30th at 12.15pm, followed by burial in Audlem cemetery.Family flowers only please, kind donations received will be given to the Critical Care Unit, Royal Stoke University Hospital, together with two other charities chosen by Adam's wife...
Tuesday 19th Jun
Hankelow Methodist Hall
Audlem Car Park
Register at the Car Park
Register at the Car Park