By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Audlem Parish Council is looking to co-opt two new councillors to fill the current vacancies and invites residents interested in working for our vibrant village community to apply. If you would like to know more about what is involved, you can talk to any of our councillors (their contact details are on the Parish Council Noticeboard and the Parish Council Pages of AudlemOnline — click...
ADAS are providing a way of clearing out those redundant, broken or anachronistic bits of computer kit that you are not supposed to put into the ordinary rubbish. With help from the Flower Divas. So ADAS (Audlem and District Amenities Society) are raising money for their funds by selling on Ebay any old, broken, unwanted gadgets or mobile phones you may have lying about and cluttering the...
We are looking to for extra household help for a lovely, elderly, independent lady living in central Audlem. The role involves light lunch food preparation, shopping, companionship and keeping us informed. We do have a weekly cleaner but some light remedial cleaning /small household duties would also be included. 6 hours per week in 3 shifts of 2 hours plus scope for more hours when covering...
Saturday 25th Feb
Audlem Scout and Guide Hall
Aston Methodist Church
Methodist Meeting Room
Scout & Guide Hall