By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
We think our readers may be interested in some history of how the White Lion at Hankelow brings back memories.The writer asked for anonymity, which of course we respect. My White Lion memories As the battle to save the White Lion at Hankelow goes on I thought I would write my connections to and memories of this important focal point of the community. I am now a resident of Audlem but was...
The application 17/0774N is going to the Southern Planning Committee next Wednesday, 26th April. The Planning Officer's recommendation to the Committee is that the application be refused. It is for the Councillors to make the final decision, so we won't know until the day what the outcome will be. Statements to the Committee supporting the Planning Officer's recommendation will...
I am in the process of doing an Easter quiz and wondered if you could help? I know Audlem is well known for its Regular Quizzers and I have a brand/product logo I can not identify. Is there anyone out there who can help? Many...
Saturday 22nd Apr
Friday 21st Apr
Audlem Public hall
Meet in Audlem Car Park at 9.30am
Scout and Guide Hall
Scout and Guide Hall