By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Land for Sale off Green LaneMany residents will know that the field of 11.55 acres, on the left adjacent to Green Lane in the direction of Market Drayton, has recently been put up for sale by the owner, at a guide price of £100,000 to £130,000 by Informal tender, due in on the 16th May.This represents a rare opportunity for the village to bid for land at agricultural...
The two Public Consultation meetings held by the Parish Council this week have been very well attended. It is clear that the community is concerned about the future of the field and that the vast majority who attended wish to retain the area as green space into the future. A copy of the slides shown at the meetings can be found by clicking on the first link below the picture. A Community...
A reminder that Audlem Voices invite you to come along to celebrate their Ten-year Anniversary Concert.The concert takes place at St James' Church tomorrow, Saturday 21st April at 7:30pm. Tickets are £7.50 — which includes a glass of wine and nibbles — and are available from Williams Newsagents, Pat Jones on 811005, or any choir member. They will also be available on the doorThe...
Saturday 21st Apr
Audlem car Park
Audlem Scout & Guide Hall
Aton Methodist Church
To be decided