By Kate Pocock - 27th November 2012 7:04am
Fancy a warm hearty dish to give you that comforting feeling when you have eaten something very yummy?
Then pop down to Oxtail & Trotter this week and get a taste of winter. We will be selling some delicious mutton from Boundary Farm.
For those of you who have not tried it before, you have missed out! Mutton is a lovely flavoursome dark meat not dissimilar to lamb but bursting with a more intense flavour. Why not try some this week and use one of the following recipes
#Mutton in Beer
900g leg of mutton ' boned and trimmed.
575ml brown ale
2 medium onions- finely sliced
25g unsalted butter
Black pepper to taste
Bread slices- cut into large crustless cubes
1. Cut the meat into thin slices across the grain. (Simon can do this for you).
2. Place in a heavy pan with the beer and onions. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently.
3. After an hour add the salt, pepper and butter. Simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve on cubes of bread in a deep dish.
#Spiced Mutton & Potato Pie
400g shortcrust pastry
500g minced mutton
300g onions ' finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
4 garlic cloves ' peeled and chopped
3tbs rape seed oil
Large pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
Beaten egg for glazing
Salt and black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/G4.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, mash and leave to cool.
3. Brown the mutton, onions and garlic in the oil.
4. Add the spices and stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the mashed potatoes, adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
6. Line a 23cm flan case with pastry and fill with the pork mixture. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry for the lid, cover the pie and crimp the edges together to make a tight seal.
8. Brush the top with beaten egg and prick the top all over with a fork.
9. Bake for 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
Serve in wedges, hot or cold, with potato salad and dressed salad leaves.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
I have received a phone call from 0019169332426 claiming to be from BT Technical Dept, based at 81 Newgate London. He told me that they were receiving 'Error & Warning' notifications whenever I use the Internet, and he wanted me to enter a code on my computer, he said he would prove it was a legitimate call by telling me my computer licence.When I asked him when did London start...
At approximately 2.30pm this afternoon when today's AudlemOnline editor was in the hot seat in the Editorial Office, the building appeared to shake for 10-15 seconds, as if an earthquake was being experienced. Perhaps it was just an HGV vehicle hitting one of the many potholes?Did anyone else experience this in the local area?Gillian Gillmoor writes:'Yes it did! Only for a couple...
AudlemOnline can reveal exclusively that the earthquake felt over large parts of Western England yesterday (reported here in yesterday's stories) originated in Wales, not far from Swansea.The earthquake, rated at 4.2 or 4.4 on the Richter scale caused alarm and trepidation across large swathes of Western England, and has been reported first-hand by several eminent...
Monday 19th Feb
Audlem Car Park
Audlem Scout & Guide Hall
Audlem Town Hall
The Methodist Meeting Rooms