By Webteam - 16th April 2018 6:03am
Back in March we reported on the Canal & River Trust's appeal for help with their efforts to repair the collapse which the canal suffered on a section of which leads to an aqueduct over the river near Nantwich Road in Middlewich.
Work has been going on to stabilise the area and reduce the impact of the collapse, including:
- A fish rescue moved 300lb weight of fish to the Trent and Mersey Canal
- Around 20 large trees were removed from the embankment and the River Wheelock
- A dam has been put in place across the canal bed at Middlewich Aqueduct
- 4 pumps have pumped up to 865,000 litres of water back into the canal to help the stranded boats move onto the Trent and Mersey Canal
- Ecologists have completed a survey looking at the breach's impact on the local wildlife
- 4 truckloads of debris were collected and removed
More details and updates can be found on the trust's website here.
Over £16,000 has been raised so far to help deal with the collapse — donations can be made in a number of ways:
Online at the CRT JustGiving page — here
By text: send LEAK515 to 70070 to give £5 (you'll be charged £5 + one message at your standard network rate)
By post: FREEPOST RSXX-XSGE-KKUE, FAO: Shropshire Union Appeal, Canal & River Trust, Station House, 500 Elder Gate, Milton Keynes, MK9 1BB
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
URGENT — Assistance RequiredMy parents live on a narrow boat and can be frequently seen in Audlem, so people may even know the hat! They often help fellow boaters and I would really appreciate support form the community.My Dad lost his hat on Wednesday 11th July in Market Drayton at around 10am.It's a cream Trilby/Panama style, with a black band with lots of badges around the brim...
Judy has let us know that the dog has happily been reunited with its owner.Michelle Gultekin sent this in:This old lady was found wandering the village at 8.15pm yesterday. She is with Judy at the newsagents, being looked...
The Cheshire East Highways website reports that Stafford Street (the A525 to Woore) will be closed just by the Church from July 10th (Tuesday) for seven days.The closure is to allow scaffolding to be erected to repair a dangerous roof.Further information will be provided as it is...
Sunday 15th Jul
Catalyst Science Discovery Centre, Widnes
4,Hayfields Grove, off Moorsfield Avenue
Audlem Car Park